Name: Abbey House
Age: built c. 1800.
Location: Killaloe. This is the house next to St Flannan’s Cathedral, at the bottom of Abbey Street.
Ownership: currently in private ownership.
Current State: inhabited; in use as house.
Weir, Hugh W.L., Houses of Clare (Ballinakella Press, 1986), p1.
The house by the twelfth-century Franciscan Abbey built by Donal More O’Brien; now the Church of Ireland Diocesan Cathedral. (Eng.)
Associated families, etc.
Church of Ireland, Hawkins, Martin, Mayne, Scanlan.
At the S end of the Royal Parade, Killaloe, and to the E of Abbey Street.
Present condition (1986)
House: Standing. Inhabited.
Demesne: A number of mature trees. Well kept garden. Utility buildings in good order and regular use.
A two-storey, three bay, hip-roofed, ‘L’ shaped, Wyatt-windowed house, with a one-storey, mainly glass, porch protecting the central front door, facing east over the river Shannon. There is a garden planted with exotic flora to the east and south of the house, and a farmyard a short distance to the north. A twentieth-century addition squares off the house to the north-east. An upstairs window pane is inscribed Peg Martin, 24th December 1824. The centre of the drawingroom window opens as a french window and a conservatory adjoins the south end.
This house was, according to local lore, reputedly (but recently considered to be unlikely by expert opinion) designed by James Gandon (1743 – 1823), the Dublin neo-classical architect who laid out the Four Courts, the Bank of Ireland portico, and other famous Dublin buildings, circa 1770, as the Church of Ireland rectory for the Reverend J. D. Bourke, who later became Archbishop of Tuam. Leased from the Bishop of Killaloe by Captain Michael Martin, J. P., from 1820 – 1860, it was later exchanged for the present Deanery, then Martin property. The Captain and his nephew, Country Coroner Dr James Martin, who died from cholera, did much to alleviate suffering during the great famine in the 1840s. In 1887, the Misses Mayne owned one thousand, eight hundred and ten acres in County Clare. They were the daughters of William Henn Mayne Esq., J.P., who died in 1876, by his wife Elizabeth Murray. The original two-storey porch was made from old church furniture, and was there until the mid twentieth century.
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
NIAH entry here.
Abbey House, Abbey Street, Killaloe, County Clare/ 20300807
Reg. No.: 20300807
Date: 1790 – 1810
Previous Name: N/A
County: County Clare
Coordinates: 170424, 172789
Categories of Special Interest: ARCHITECTURAL
Original Use: house
In Use As: house
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c. 1800, with single-bay single-storey recessed end bay to the right and pair of three-bay two-storey returns. Glazed porch added to front and two-bay two-storey extension added to rear. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Flat roof to extension to rear and to entrance porch. Roughcast rendered walls, with rendered walls to returns and extension. Tripartite timber sliding sash windows with stone sills to front elevation. Timber sliding sash windows to sides and rear. Timber half glazed door to glazed porch. Retaining interior timber panelled shutters. Rubble stone boundary walls to adjoining courtyard with cut-stone gate piers and timber gates. Detached two-bay two-storey rubble stone outbuilding to site.